Thursday, July 20, 2006

Siesta From The Heat

I had to laugh yesterday afternoon when I looked out the window and saw this squirrel taking a little siesta from the afternoon heat. He was literally sacked out on the railing of the deck. At first I thought he had just climbed up there and was checking out the view. But after about 5 minutes of NO movement, I realized he was sawing logs. So I grabbed the camera. While I was snapping a few pictures of Rocky the dozing squirrel, Dudley figured out something was up.......and soon so was Rip Van Squirrel. He looked at me, looked at Duds and scampered down from the deck and zipped up a tree. I wonder if this was Larry, Curly, or Moe. Earlier this Spring I noticed a mother squirrel leading three little guys around in the treetops. Back then the branches were bare, so I could watch the Three Stooges chasing each other from time to time. And this guy is probably one of them since he's a bit on the small side. Plus I doubt an older animal would pick such a place to snooze. By the way, it was 91 at Casa Benson when this picture was taken. Great napping weather.
A lot of backyard thermometers in valley locations will once again hover near 100 this afternoon. But today a few storms will dot the landscape across the region. Near storms today through the weekend strong, gusty winds will be possible along with big downpours.

Today: Partly cloudy and steamy again. 20% chance for an isolated storm. Highs near 96 in Chattanooga.

Tonight: Storms fade with fair skies overnight. Lows around 72.

Friday: Partly cloudy with showers and storms likely from afternoon on. Highs near 93.

Saturday: Periods of showers and storms. Highs near 83.

Sunday: Partly cloudy with a 30% chance for more showers and storms. Highs near 86.

Monday: Mostly sunny with highs near 90.

Average rainfall amounts Today through Sunday should end up between 3/4" and 1 1/2". But locally heavier amounts will occur. And we'll also have to watch for strong, gusty winds near storms from today through the weekend.
So if Rip Van Squirrel wants a nap and stay dry the next few days he better do it under the deck rather than on top.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home