Friday, July 14, 2006

Different Kind Of Heat Coming.


This morning was once again "Photo Friday" on Channel 3 Eyewitness News Today. So thanks to two featured photographers, Amanda Rouse of Chattanooga and Elaine Edwards of Hixson. Amanda sent a very cool picture of her puppy "Wags" eyeing a bumblebee. "Wags" is a Papillion, a breed I hadn't heard of before. My father-in-law's dog "Baby" is a great big shepherd mix. And she also chases bees, and snapping at them. I've even seen her catch a couple and very quickly crunch them. So far she hasn't been stung, but sometime soon her hobby is going to come at a price.
I really like Elaine's picture as well. This guy is beautiful, and he's the early bird munching on a meal worm. Right now I think my bluebird box is home to a pair of wrens. For some reason a woodpecker decided to enlarge the hole, so I'm guessing the local bluebirds don't like the looks of the front door. I may replace it with another bluebird box after this summer, but right now the wrens are fun to watch. By the way, the other day I looked out to check on the wrens and just a few feet away was a doe grazing on some of the weeds I mowed through the day before. I ran upstairs to grab the camera, but the auto-focus was fooled by the window and I didn't get very good pictures. It's been awhile since I've seen a deer in the back yard. I'm glad they stop by now and then.
Severe thunderstorms knocked down some trees and powerlines late yesterday. Especially in the Rossville area. During the afternoon hours I heard rumbling all around but no rain at the house. However just before I went to bed another storm was approaching. But as soon as my head hit the pillow I was out. I was going to check the rainguage this morning, but it was pouring when I left so I'll have to wait until this afternoon to see how big a drink the lawn got.
Scattered storms will be numerous again today and tomorrow, but after that it just looks hot. But this will be a different heat than we felt back in June. Sure the highs were in the upper 90s then, but the dewpoints were relatively low. This heat will come with dewpoints 70 and above. In keeping with the Superman theme from the past few days....that's kryptonite for folks who work outside. The steam really steals your strength and stamina. And this will be the Lex Luthor of heat waves heading across the country. Look for a headline making heat wave marching from the Plains today, into the Midwest and East this weekend and early next week.

Today: Hazy sunshine with scattered storms once again. Some with heavy downpours and gusty winds. Highs around 92.

Tonight: Storms fade with patchy fog late. Lows around 73.

Saturday: Partly cloudy early, storms pop from afternoon on. Highs again around 92.

Sunday and Monday: Hazy, hot and humid. Highs both days around 95.

Tuesday: Just a 20% chance for an isolated storm. Highs still around 94.

Temps may fall back to around 90 by next Friday. But for anyone who works outside, this may be the weekend to stay in, rest and relax. Next week is going to be nasty.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home