Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Thoughts Turn To Fishin', Family And Friends

Thanks this morning to Mark (I wish I had a last name.) for sending this great picture of thunderstorm over Lake Chickamauga taken from Big Ridge. It's a beautiful picture, and if you click on the image to see the full-sized view it appears that there is a rainbow on the left.
This past weekend I saw quite a few boats and watercraft on the lake as I drove past the Harrison Bay area. I can only imagine how busy the lake will be this weekend as thoughts turn to fishin' and enjoying a day on the lake. (I'm whistling the Andy Griffith Show theme.)
Right now I think much of the holiday weekend looks good with steamy conditions and our first 90 degree day either Saturday or Sunday. Which would fall within the range of dates the first 90 was recorded in the last 10 years:
  • April 18, 2002
  • May 12, 2000
  • May 17, 2001
  • May 18, 1996
  • May 19, 1998
  • May 21, 2004
  • June 3, 1999
  • June 5, 2005
  • June 23, 1997
  • June 24, 2003

Today we'll see mostly sunny skies with highs in the city around 87.

Partly cloudy tonight with a slight chance for a shower or storm by daybreak. Lows will end up around 64.

Thursday and Friday: Scattered showers and storms, some could be strong to severe. Highs both days in the mid 80s.

Upper 80s to near 90 Saturday through Memorial Day. It will feel steamy with partly cloudy skies. And with heat and humidity around we'll have a slight chance for an isolated afternoon storm popping up.

See if you remember this ditty:

"From the lakes of Northern Canada, to the Gulf of Mexico......wherever fish are biting, that's where we're gonna go. There's a lot of exciting country......just waiting to be explored. So join us now in the great outdoors, The World of Virgil Ward."

One of my favorite shows as a kid. I was always amazed by the places Virgil would travel to and the different fish species highlighted each week. But one of my favorite parts of the show was when Virgil would show the various actions of lures in the aquarium in his studio.

According to bassinusa.com, Virgil passed away in 2004 at the age of 93. And he was fishing up until a couple of weeks before his death.

This weekend while I'm staring at a bobber, I'll think back on all the great shows he produced and all the people who probably ventured into the outdoors for the first time because of him.

I'll also think about my dad who introduced all of us kids to fishing and an appreciation for nature. (I think he was a Virgil Ward fan too.) And I'll think about my brother-in-law who was a great fishing, hunting, and camping buddy. There are other family members and friends I'll pause to remember this weekend as well. Fortunately, all with a tear in the corner of my eye and a smile on my face.

Happy Memorial Day to all!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home