Wednesday, October 19, 2005

"Wilma" - Jaw Dropping Part 2.

















Above the tranquil pics from "Kayak For Conservation".

When I came in this morning I was stunned by the updates from the National Hurricane Center. A series of updates on the strengthening storm. Then the special update touting the unbelievable 892 mb pressure. AND THEN.......the 5am advisory:"Air Force Reconnaissance Plane Reported 884 mb the lowest minimum pressure ever measured in a hurricane in the Atlantic Basin." 24 hours previously Wilma had been a 70 mph tropical storm. This morning 175 mph sustained with gusts over 200! Amazing! 8 am advisory 882 mb!!!
Here's the new list:
  1. Wilma 882 mb 2005
  2. Gilbert 888 mb 1988
  3. Labor Day 892 mb 1935
  4. Rita 897 mb 2005
  5. Allen 899 mb 1980
  6. Katrina 902 mb 2005

I remember watching the satellite images of Gilbert come in when I was working at WSIL-TV. And at the time I thought I'd never see a storm that strong in my lifetime. Those giants just don't occur that often. This year we've had three. Water temps control hurricane strength and the water is warmer, and warmer longer. Last April my dive buddy Jorge told me he had been diving in Cozumel all his life. The water is warm there all year long these days, and it's never been like that before.

Near record highs for us the next two days. Front blows through Friday night and early Saturday with some scattered showers and a few storms. Then sharply colder this weekend.

Wilma will be a doozy of a storm to watch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home