Friday, October 14, 2005

Woolly Worms And A Really Nice Weekend


Many of us could take this kind of weather alllllllllllllll year long. I know I could. I haven't been as diligent with the backyard recently so last evening and today I tackled that mess. Plenty of sticks and some bigger stuff that required getting the chain saw out. But it was very comfortable to chop and mow in shorts.
On my way back into the garage I noticed the first woolly worm of the season so I grabbed the phone and snapped his picture. At first he wasn't all that enthused about having his picture taken, but this little guy soon stretched out along the ruler I set up on the top of the car. As you can see about 3/4" of his body was brown right in the middle. The folklore says Woollys have 13 bands that correspond to the 13 weeks of winter, from December to March. The darker the band, the colder and snowier the weather. Soooooooooooo, this little feller seems to be saying a brief cold start to an otherwise mild winter. And his furry forecast would indicate a chilly finish to the season.
I have always wanted to go to the Woolly Worm Festival in Banner Elk, North Carolina. It's this weekend.
Check out what's going on over there at this link: http://woollyworm.com/index.php
I hope you get to enjoy the outside this weekend. The weather looks great here.
  • Saturday - Mostly Sunny 79
  • Saturday Night - Clear and Chilly 45
  • Sunday - Sunny Skies 76
  • Sunday Night - Clear and Chilly 46
  • Monday - Lots of Sunshine 77

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home