Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Touch Of Fall A Day Away

This picture was taken at my in-laws place on a sultry Southern Illinois evening back in July. A front had just blown through triggering the storms seen here just to the southeast. I know some neat things can be done with photoshop these days, but I'm not that computer savy. And besides, like Jim Rogers picture yesterday and this one today, sometimes nature doesn't need to be improved upon.
I remember this particular evening because the heat and humidity dropped dramatically. It was a nice break from July's steam. Am I the only one who looks at fronts this time of year in a different way? When a cool air mass pushes through now I look at it suspiciously. Like it's not a welcome visitor, but a harbinger of things to come. I love Autumn, and the crisp mornings and warm afternoons. I don't even mind a little frost around. But I'm much more comfortable in Spring, Summer, and Fall. Winter is a season I struggle with. I guess that comes from growing up in the Upper Midwest when shoveling snow and shivering was possible for 5 or 6 months some years. Cold weather loses it's "magic" when it goes on that long.
Anyway, no frost this time around for us. Scattered showers and a few storms will start moving through from tonight through early tomorrow. Then tomorrow afternoon it will become breezy and cooler. Highs tomorrow afternoon will struggle to get back to 70 in the higher elevations north and west of the city. In Chattanooga we should see a high around 74. The cool point will be Friday morning. Here in the city we'll see lows in the lower 50s, but outlying areas will drop into the upper 40s. Then a pleasantly cool, dry weekend ahead with highs in the upper 70s to lower 80s.
So for now this front will be allowed to pass as a welcome visitor without an icy stare.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home