Friday, September 16, 2005

A Different "Katrina" Rescue Story Surfaces















Photos Courtesy: NOAA

Dolphins have always fascinated me. As a kid I loved the t.v. show "Flipper", and one of my favorite view-master sets was the three reels of "Flipper". My folks took us to the Brookfield Zoo in Chicago when I was seven or eight. I can only vividly remember two things; the mandrills colorful faces and the dolphin show. In my mind I can still see the dolphins gracefully leaping to amazing heights.
I know there are those who believe dolphins and beluga whales shouldn't be held in captivity. I respect their feelings, but personally I think we learn to love animals like this by seeing them first hand.
So seeing the Marine Life Oceanarium in Gulfport, MS left in shambles by Hurricane "Katrina" is heart breaking.
But one bright spot is an ongoing rescue mission. 8 formerly missing bottlenose dolphins were found doing o.k. in the Mississippi Sound. They had been swept out of their tanks by an estimated 40 foot wave. If only they could talk to us, what a story they must have. 2 have been brought to a hotel swimming pool to be fed and nursed back to health. The other 6 will be rescued as soon as possible. To follow this amazing story of animal survival check out these two links: NOAA NEWS http://www.noaa.gov and The Marine Life Oceanarium's website: http://www.dolphinsrus.com
One day I hope to dive with some dolphins in the wild. I would love to watch them and hear them first hand.
How about this rain today?
After more than a week without, these storms are putting out some serious rainfall. Some storms have been dropping 1/2" to 1" per hour this morning. As of early this morning doppler radar estimates that areas north of Chattanooga have already seen 2" to 3"! And not a moment too soon for a lot of people.
But this front will pave the way for a wonderful weekend across the region. Still warm, but comfortable with big swings in temperatures. We'll go from upper 50s in the morning to mid and upper 80s during the afternoon. Enjoy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home