Monday, September 12, 2005

Thoughts On Road Trips And Life in "Mow-town"

This picture was taken on a little road trip near Bryson City, North Carolina. Anyone who has traveled over that way knows right where this barn is. It's probably one of those, "You can't miss it" landmarks that locals tell lost visitors to look for. As in, "It's 3 miles past the Rock City barn. You can't miss it."
This is the time of year when I start getting itchy to take a little road trip. Especially when the days are warm and sunny like we had over the weekend. I like to drive around with my windows down this time of year. Motoring around town like that is one thing, but it's so much more enjoyable putting along the Nantahala, or Ocoee rivers. Small excursions like that you can make in one day without feeling worn out. And it will be even more enjoyable in about 4 to 6 weeks when the leaves start changing.
There's a change going on right now I'm sure is due in part to the time of year and our dry weather. Slowly my yard is being covered by brown fallen leaves.
We have had 13 days without any rain in Chattanooga. After a wet summer it's like someone just switched the skies off. The last time we went two weeks without ANY rain was last September 18th through October 1st. On October 2nd of last year the airport recorded .01". Otherwise that dry spell would have lasted through the 8th....exactly 21 days. Chattanooga's driest September was back in 1879. That month was also the driest ever on record with only .04"!
At least my grass isn't growing as much these days. That kept me pretty busy when it was wet. Only problem is now that it's dry, I have to get out nearly as often to mow up the leaves. I guess that's life in "Mow-Town".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home